We are really pleased to announce…
The Housing Weekender, 2014
The Weekender is on the 26th and 27th April. It’s a collaboration among groups from across London, who work on a whole range of housing issues including private renting, access to welfare, squatting, co-operatives and social housing.
The housing crisis grows steadily deeper, and yet those is power fail to take the necessary action to secure the future of the city. This weekend will bring people together to build a movement of practical solidarity, to resist social cleansing and reclaim the city for the people who live here.
Here’s the flyer – this and the poster version are also available on the Resources page of the website. Do feel free to download and print them off, and get in touch if you need a higher resolution version.
It’s set to be an action-packed two days. On Saturday 26th, there are events planned all round London, organised by local groups who are in the Radical Housing Network. Events are set to take place in Lewisham, Lambeth, Brent, Camden, Hackney and Haringey, and include films, info-stalls, discussions, games, and actions. If you’d like to get involved in your area, or if you’d like to propose something in an area that’s not already covered, get in touch!
On Sunday 27th, we’ll all come together in central London, for a day of discussion, action planning and strategising. The day will include:
- Action planning and preparation – we will be building for a mass action in the week after the event
- Organising against the crisis: How can we work together to build a stronger housing movement?
- Alternatives: co-ops, self-builds, neighbourhood plans and more
- Speakers including Danny Dorling (author of All that is Solid) and Liz Davies (Haldane Society)
- Media training for housing and gentrification action groups
- Legal advice surgery and training on providing legal support
- Tea, cake (hopefully), chat
More details will follow soon!
We hope to see you there!